Friday, July 14, 2006

Kan-'nada'
We've been invited to a wedding. We live in Bangalore. The beloved and I have lived in this city for 16 and 10 years respectively. We get by with broken Kannada and cannot read the script. (I know, I know, we should have learnt by now.) Our friends, a Punjabi couple, are accompanying us with their six year old- V. After driving round and round endlessly (traffic jams, one- ways- in one word- Bangalore!), we finally reach. There are about six to seven festively decorated mandaps on this particular street. Surprise! Everything, absolutely everything's written in Kannada. Apparently weddings bring out a deep love for the language. Can't blame them of course. After staring uncomprehendingly at the squiggles, we turn towards V. She's just started learning the alphabet in school. Four pairs of eyes bore into her.

The mother- "V, what's written on that board there?"
V (stares at it for 5 minutes) - "Mummy, that looks like a Sh."
Us- "Wrong place."
Next stop
The mother- "V, what about this one?"
V (10 seconds this time)- "That word starts with a Ra" (beams with pride) .
Us (look at her admiringly)- "This is the place!"
Adjust sari, reapply lipstick, put on a smile and march inside.
Come outside immediately, red- faced.
The mother- "V why do I even pay your school fees? I have told you SO many times to pay attention in class!"
V (lower lip begins to wobble dangerously, voice begins to quaver)- "But mummy...."
We finally saw the bride outside one of the mandaps and figured we had reached the right place :)

Moral of the story 1-The Karnataka government must ensure that all schools start teaching children the Kannada alphabet from the age of 3.
Moral of the story 2- Don't be embarrassed to ask someone for help.
Moral of the story 3- Tell the law- abiding citizens of Bangalore that they must write everything in English or else!
Moral of the story 4- Learn Kannada

Note- I have finally decided, after reading lots and lots of blogs, to start writing something myself instead of just leaving comments in other people's blogs. Constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated!

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

poor kid..so much pressure! :-)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

Just curious - are you Dinesh's sister?

12:14 AM  
Blogger kuttichuvaru said...

ha ha.... funny one there!! I am jus imagining the '4 pairs of eyes on V'!! LOL!!

1:22 AM  
Blogger Just Jane said...

comment maarne bhi ek art hai, nai? :D

i learnt kannada for exactly one year. had a great tuition teacher and topped the class. promptly forgot the language once i moved out of karnataka :(

2:20 AM  
Blogger Priya Arun said...

Moral of the story 5: If you're going to take help from a 6-yr old, you shouldn't blame the poor thing if the 'help' didn't work out. ;-)

I agree - you should write more! You have a way with words. :-)

P.S: Came here from Boo's abode.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Why Am I said...

hehhe thts a funny one@...tho i think moral of the story one shudve been to learn kannada:P

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this story. You write well. Pray, do continue! Cheers.

3:38 PM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

Hi Akka,

Got to your blog from 30in2005 - intriguing name - I meant yours. :)

Your very first piece of writing is not bad at all!

Now that you've started thinking about writing - I wish to say you are in luck! I recently stumbled on a blog where the author is planning to start classes in creative writing!

See Frida's Creative Writing Classes

And do visit my blog - the content is really terrible, but I have a built a set of very interesting links, which I'm sure you'll like.

PS: Though my comment looks like a promotional bit, I assure it is not.

9:23 PM  
Blogger The Insane Genius said...

why the heck would anyone want to learn kannada?
oh and since u know broken kannada...wht does this mean??

ahambhaavavannella maresaballa kshaNa neenu

:)

This ends my comment burst for the time being :D

tush:)

7:56 AM  
Blogger The Insane Genius said...

why the heck would anyone want to learn kannada?
oh and since u know broken kannada...wht does this mean??

ahambhaavavannella maresaballa kshaNa neenu

:)

This ends my comment burst for the time being :D

tush:)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Preethi said...

No need to criticize, u just write what you want.. thats all.. :)
and we will read it! :)

Btw, how far r u done with ur moral? It feels good to know that someone plans to learn Kannada.. its my 'cousin tongue'.. and if u dont understand what it is, I will write a post on that as well.. :)

1:52 PM  
Blogger Vidhya Rajesh said...

ha ha this one was good. I got to your blog from Smiling girl. You know i stayed in b'lore for just 6 months and i was really fed up with everything being written only in kannada - right from the destinations on bus boards to names of offices and all ...

7:24 PM  
Blogger Vidhya Rajesh said...

ha ha .. that was a good one! I was in b'lore for about 6 months and even I was really troubled with this problem - especially the destinations on the bus boards!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

Very funny post. I can imagine how it feels to enter the wrong wedding. I know because I did that one time. In my case it was intentional though :)

1:02 AM  
Blogger Balaji S Rajan said...

Interesting post. Your writings took me to the suspense. It was fun to read the conversation between you and V. Learn Kannada soon.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Just Like That said...

ha ha poor little V!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home